Model answer & my answer failed on R studio

Screen Link:
https://app.dataquest.io/m/323/data-cleaning-with-r/6/class-size-data-calculating-school-averages

My Code:

class_size<-class_size%>%group_by(CSD,`SCHOOL CODE`, `SCHOOL NAME`)%>% summarize(avg_class_size=mean(`AVERAGE CLASS SIZE`), avg_largest_class=mean(`SIZE OF LARGEST CLASS`),avg_smallest_class=mean(`SIZE OF SMALLEST CLASS`))

What I expected to happen:
I don’t understand what the output means. My answer is the same as the model answer, and when i tried out the model answer & my own code on R studio, both returned the same output, and the same issues. I’m not sure how to go about this part of the exercise.

What actually happened:

`summarise()` regrouping output by 'CSD', 'SCHOOL CODE' (override with `.groups` argument)

1 Like

Hi There.

The message you are getting is perfectly normal. It is not an error. If you use ‘summarize’ on a grouped dataframe it removes one grouping level automatically (the lowest). In your case in essence going from the dataframe being grouped by:

CSD,`SCHOOL CODE`, `SCHOOL NAME`

to being grouped by:

CSD,`SCHOOL CODE`

What R is telling you in addition is that you could override this by explicitely using the .groups argument when calling the summarise function. In most beginner scenarios this is probably not necessary.

3 Likes

Hi! Thanks for your reply, but I’m still unsure why my answer, same as the model answer is wrong?

1 Like