Act fast, special offers end soon! Up to $294 is savings when you get Premium today.
Get offer codes

My first guided project - Exploring HackerNews

Hi everyone,
I am pretty proud of what I came up with for this project, so I wanted to share. Putting together the generalized functions to get rid of some of the code bulk took time, but I think it was worth it.

What I would like to know is if there are any conventions around how projects are built-out (specifically with the markdown, perhaps?), and if I am following those conventions!
Thanks!

Hacker News project page

2_ExploringHackerNews(1).ipynb (26.8 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

2 Likes

Hi @chefpaul92,

Congratulations on sharing your first project with the Community! It looks really awsome and it’s definitely very different from all the other projects I saw here on the same topic! Perfect project structure, all the necessary links are present, all the important moments empasized (with bullet poins and lists), great idea to introduce those functions, cool and even non-conventional function description. Well done, indeed!

As for your question, you can find very useful this guide:

Some suggestions from my side:

• from csv import reader you can import it in the first code cell, together with the other libraries.
  • For displaying code cell outputs, you can use this new “high-tech” format:
  • I’d suggest you remove over-indexing in markdown (Q-1, A-1, numbered subheadings, especially with brackets). Also, it’s better to remove the questions from the introduction: just leave the answers themselves as a smooth text.
  • It’s better to use a uniform style of quote marks for string data in code cells: or only single, or only doble quote marks.

Hope my suggestions were helpful. Great job your work! Good luck with your future projects!

1 Like

Hi @Elena_Kosourova!
Thanks for looking over my project and providing those helpful documents. I went through and implemented some of those changes you suggested in the attached notebook, as well as updating this project to use the numpy/pandas tools from the next module.
Thanks again,
–Jack
2B_ExploringHackerNews_WithNewSkills(1).ipynb (27.3 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

1 Like

Hi @chefpaul92,

Great job updating your project based on my suggestions and your new knowledge! :star: Glad to here that my ideas were useful!