Need help to clarify the concept

https://app.dataquest.io/m/284/variables-in-statistics/5/the-ordinal-scale

Here in the exercise:

4. The  `Games Played`  variable is not measured on an ordinal scale. 
       Assign your answer to  `question4` .
    5. The  `Experience`  variable is measured on an ordinal scale. 
       Assign your answer to  `question5` .

I think Games Played is a quantitative variable and so it can tell us both the size and direction of difference. So then when we can tell the direction of difference, means it can be measurable on ordinal scale. So the answer according to me is False here.

And for Experience is a quantitative variable and so it can tell us direction of difference but not the size of difference because the value is word. So then when we can tell the direction of difference- less or more - means it can be measurable on ordinal scale. So the answer according to me is True here.

Please kindly guide, I need help to clarify my concept here.

Hi @NisrinDhoondia!

With variables measured on an ordinal scale we can:

• tell whether two individuals are different;
  • tell the direction of the difference.

However, we can’t tell the size of the difference.

As a consequence, if we can tell the size of the difference, it means the variable is not measured on an ordinal scale. Instead, it’s measured either on an interval or ratio scale.

In the case of the Games Played variable, we can tell the size of the difference, which means the variable is not measured using an ordinal scale. This means that the fourth sentence in the exercise is True.

The Experience variables is a bit more tricky. The R stands for “rookie”, which means the player is at her first season in the WNBA – this means she has 0 seasons previous experience. Consequently, we are able to tell the size of the difference between any two players, which means the variable is not ordinal. The conclusion is that sentence five in the exercise is False.

Let me know if this is more clear now.

1 Like