Prison Helicopter Breaks - Guided Project

Hello Everyone,
My name is Tosin George. I’m exploring the Data Science field, particularly in renewables. I’m enjoying my learning experience on Data Quest. This is my first Guided Project.

I have tackled 5 more questions in addition to what was answered

I would love to get your feedback on my project.

Thank you! :grinning:

Find the link to my last mission screen here

Helicopter Prison Breaks.ipynb (218.0 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

4 Likes

Hi @tosingeorge01 , your ‘first’ guided project looks brilliant. Though it is quite clear that it is not exactly the first time you are dabbling with data analysis.

Your report was a pleasure to read, the extra analyses you have done is great, the conclusions are interesting.

Though one suggestion would be to restart the kernel and run all the cell of Jupyter notebook before submitting it here.

Also what do you think about looking at the unsuccessful rates of team vs individuals? Will you still go with a team or as an individual? :wink:

Anyway great work mate. Good luck with your further analyses.

2 Likes

hi there, could you please explain why we are initializing the variable, index = 0 here?

1 Like

Hi, @jithins123. I honestly appreciate your feedback. Believe it or not, this is actually my first project with Python although I have some background with Data Visualization.

I’m glad that you found my report a pleasure to read :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and I’m keen on exploring failure chances of unsuccessful teams vs individuals too? Although I’m sort of biased with the success chances of teams already :grinning:. GO Teams!!

You can view the file in nbviewer here. Let me know when you check it.

Thank you!

@old_soul

I have my variable, index =0 because I want the elimination of the last column to begin from the first data row and continue untill it reaches the last row. Remember that Python uses zero-based indexing.

1 Like

@artur.sannikov96 Thank you so much for your aptly detailed suggestions. You pay great attention to details. I’m really happy to have received your feedback as it will help me get better and build projects that are useful to the community. I’ll definitely put them into consideration on the next review.

@Elena_Kosourova The Data Quest community has been very supportive since I started my journey in Data Science a few months back. I absolutely enjoy my learning experience here. You guys rock! :grinning:

1 Like

That’s great, @tosingeorge01, very happy to hear that! :heart_eyes: Your project is really cool, by the way! :star2:

1 Like

Thank you @Elena_Kosourova :smiling_face:

This is absolutely encouraging, knowing that this is my first project. Many thanks!

1 Like

Hi @tosingeorge01,

I just finished the project as well, and I’m in awe of your data visualization!

One minor quibble: In calculating the countries with the greatest chance of success, it looks like you created a ratio of (successful_attempts/unsuccessful_attempts), when it should be (successful_attempts/total_attempts). I don’t know how bar charts handle floats less than 1, so it might end up creating other challenges.

1 Like

@noel.steere.linkedin
Thank you for the kind compliment :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

As to your concern, I used the odds ratio to determine the chances of success here. Odds indicate the probability that an event will occur or not. And in this case, the probability that a prison helicopter break attempt will be successful or not.

It would be great to see projects that have done differently on this “chances of success” question.

You can check these links here for further explanation on Odds and Probability:
Difference Between Odds and Probability (with Comparison Chart) - Key Differences.
Probability vs Odds. What’s the difference? Learn it and… | by z_ai | Towards Data Science

1 Like

Sorry, need to make this quick:

First, odds are expressed as non-occurrence over occurrence. If 1 outcome pays, and 11 outcomes don’t pay, the payoff is 11:1

Second, the way you’ve done it (Occurence/Non-Occurence) seems to fail to take into account the countries with zero failures (1/0 or 2/0), which would be “infinite” (technically undefined)

1 Like

@noel.steere.linkedin This is noted although I do not totally agree. It’s my first DS project and I am willing to get as much feedback as possible. Kindly share your version of the project if you can.

You can drop the link here or tag me. Thanks! :grinning: