Review: Analysing CIA factbook data using SQL

Hi all,
I am sharing my completed guided project using SQL. This is my first time using SQL and I would love feedback on improving the readability and efficiency of my queries .

Link to last screen: https://app.dataquest.io/m/257/guided-project%3A-analyzing-cia-factbook-data-using-sql/8/next-steps

Basics.ipynb (47.7 KB)
Looking forward to your comments and contributions.

Thanks,
Austin.

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

2 Likes

Good work @austin-deccentric though it is your first time using SQL you’ve made you project to be more interesting and informative as an experienced person. Thanks for Sharing.

Happy Learning!

1 Like

@info.victoromondi thanks for the feedback I really appreciate. The improvements can be attributed DQ!

1 Like

Thanks for posting, this really helped me a lot…

1 Like

Hi, @austin-deccentric.

When looking through your project I noticed that in the “Further Analysis” section you misinterpreted the population_growth field. If I am correct, this is a percentage.

I will use the output of the query in this section to provide examples. Focusing on the India record first, you interpreted the population_growth (a value of 1.22 for India) as meaning a 22% increase in the population. In reality, the population only increased by 1.22%. This means that your calculation should have looked more like the following:
new_population = old_population + (old_population * 0.0122)
or
new_population = old_population * 1.0122.

This is why you have some very large numbers for new_population and pop_diff. In your calculations the population in both Ethiopia and Iraq nearly tripled in size; for Uganda it more than tripled.

You may have already caught this but I figured I should comment on it in case you haven’t.

Best,
JesĂşs

2 Likes

Jesus saves the day! I did not see that. Thanks for pointing it out.

@jesusayala893, I have made the edit you suggested.