Review Mine, i'll Review Yours: Analyzing High Volume of Comments in Specific Time of the Day

Hi guys! This is my second guided project from DataQuest and I would like to have your honest feedback! Here are the things I want to know:

1. Overall format of the project (Title, headers, code explanations, code comments etc.)
  2. Logic of Code
  3. Overall answer to the question stated in the Introduction

I took the approach of people with no technical background will view this project so there will be more code comments than usual.

Edit: I’ve updated my project and fix some narratives and added anchor tags that are link in every step i took. Hope anyone would review my project again!

Feel free to post your URL post about your project too so we can review each other projects!

Last Mission Screen Guided Project :
https://app.dataquest.io/m/356/guided-project%3A-exploring-hacker-news-posts/8/next-steps

second-guided-project.ipynb (23.1 KB)

Updated Version:
Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

3 Likes

That’s a nice project. Keep the good work up.

1 Like

Thank you! Just starting out learning python and Data Science.

1 Like

Hey,

Its a nice approach you have shown there by giving the result summary at the beginning itself. It gives someone only interested in the conclusion a faster way to get there. I quite like that. Btw Is it a standard way of presenting a report, which I’m not aware of?

About the code. looks like you are much better in python than me and I believe it is not your first language that you have learned. I also think, some habits from other language came here too. You have added ‘;’ at the end of each code. I thought python would return a syntax error. But now I started to think its more like an optional thing. Please correct me on this.

Also, now I see what you were telling me about converting the timezones. I will try your code on mine and update you.

I have one question regarding swapping the list. I have seen it in the instruction too. Is it really needed if we append the list [comments, hour] format in the first place itself? Or is there any reason why its appeneded [hour, comment] and then swap to sort it?

Otherwise your project looks cool. I quite like the anchor tags and internal linking. You have mastered the markdown cells!!

Blockquote I took the approach of people with no technical background will view this project so there will be more code comments than usual.

Btw you said, there will be more code comments than usual. That made me think, maybe I have way too much code comments if you are saying your code comments are more!! What do you think?

1 Like

According to this blog made by DataQuest themselves, it is! The reason is because employers when they view your portfolio only skims your work and sometimes never read your project carefully that is why they recommend projects must be designed for skimming and at the same time “complete” when they actually read it.

You are completely right about this. Some specific languages (Like c++) requires semicolon (";") at the end of each statement to denote that that the end of the statement, however python doesn’t use that and ignores it (which means it will not generate an error, your correct again).

I am also not familiar with pytz library, I just got it in stackoverflow, here is the link. I just experimented (remove the lines of code and see if it spits and error) again and again and search a little and I made it work, though I never understand why it needs to localize EST timezone (you can view what I am saying in the inline comments of the code).

the sorting function has a weird behavior, it doesn’t sort [comments, hour] but the workaround DataQuest suggested is to swap it with [hour, comments] this so that the numeric value hour will be sorted. If I am right, this kind of workaround is mentioned twice in different courses (both courses are aligned in Data Analyst in Python).

I said that because when I learned c++, I didn’t use inline comments nor block comments when I was just starting coding and Its my first time venturing in this field so I thought that learners here might pick up a bad habit (like me) on not considering inline / block comments. BUT DataQuest is amazing, they put this study guide (same as the link to the top) to educate beginners like me to when not to put and to put comments in your code :). I also recommend this blog that they made also

Thank you for your thorough observation. I hope we came across in this field in the future!

1 Like

Thanks for the blog post suggestions. I’m gonna go through it. I am also going to check out the pytz library in detail. I hope that we will meet soon reviewing our next project :wink:

1 Like