Self Studying: How to start and finish

How do you self study when there are no deadlines? Deadlines motivate me to get studying and projects completed. However, I’m trying to self study (no deadlines required, no project submissions required, etc.)

2 Likes

I set daily timeframe by which to work. This serves as my sort of deadline. I review every Sunday eve I g to see how I did and see what lessons were learned if I missed items.

2 Likes

I’ve also found it to be harder to stay on track with deadlines since graduating.

For MOOCs I took in the past there was the financial deadline (if I don’t complete within certain weeks, need to pay again), which helped.

For long-term self-studying I guess we’ll just have to get into the habit and set mental deadlines.

With that said, I think external motivation was also important in school - when we could work towards goals together, and compare progress with peers. Perhaps a check-in thread where we could each post our DQ path progress for the day/week? :bulb:

1 Like

Pay monthly and make the goal to finish all in 1 month. It worked for me.

4 Likes

How do you self study when there are no deadlines? Deadlines motivate me to get studying and projects completed. However, I’m trying to self study (no deadlines required, no project submissions required, etc.)

Everyone has different motivations. Deadlines are counter productive to me as I just find it causes unnecessary pressure which leads to rushing and not such great learning.

For me, its the same as people who dedicate themselves to hitting the gym. It needs to be a way of life, and so every single night I need to dedicate 1 hour a my evening to study. This is after my child goes to bed, and my wife needs to respect that for this one hour I’m needing to be on my own. Mobile phone/tablet goes into another room, no TV on, door closed so I’m fully concentrated.

For me it’s better to study 1 hour every single night (with no disruptions) rather than to do 4-8 hours saturday and sunday only.

I also find that when I am on Dataquest.io then I put the browser into full screen mode to reduce temptation of opening up yet another new tab to “quickly check the news” or something, luckily I stay away from social media.

Learning how to learn - open edu
Learning how to learn - coursera

4 Likes

What I found works for me the most is using apps to monitor progress and set goals accordingly. For example, I use TickTick to have a checkbox of things to do (120mins of studying every day, whether it’s dataquest or related books or projects), that way, even if I’m too occupied with something, it’s saved and I can make it up on a less busy day. Also, during the studying I use Forest just to focus on studying more, not checking my phone etc. I really think you could at least give it a try to see whether it works for you aswell.

2 Likes

Great suggestion @Nicolas and also welcome to the community!