Going fast! #DataquestChallenge Premium Annual Offer:
500 get 50% & the next 1000 get 40% off.
GET OFFER CODE

Sharing my first guided project - Exploring Hacker News Posts

Hello DQ community!!! I am sharing my first guided project. I worked on the extra credit part just to reinforce my learnings so far. Happy to receive any feedback if there is a more efficient way of working it. https://app.dataquest.io/m/356/guided-project%3A-exploring-hacker-news-posts/8/next-steps

Guided Project_ Exploring Hacker News Posts_ZL.ipynb (17.9 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

3 Likes

Hi @zalopez,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for sharing your first project with us! You’ve done a nice work, your code is clean and efficient and the observations are correct. Also great job doing extra tasks!

Some suggestions from my side:

  • It’s better to remove “Project 2” before the project title. Just leave the title itself and make the font bigger.
  • A good idea is to add more background information about the topic in the introduction. Also, it’s important to put a link to the initial dataset.
  • When the project is already ready, don’t forget to re-run it to have all the code cells in order and starting from 1.
  • Throughout the project, you can use more markdown comments to explain what you observed and what are the next steps.
  • To make the code more comprehensible, you should use code comments for some relatively complex pieces of code.
  • It’s better to import all the libraries at the beginning, in the first code cell.
  • In the code cell [7], there are a lot of empty lines, please consider removing them.
  • Also, you can consider gathering all the intermediate conclusions in one, at the end of the project.

Hope my suggestions were useful. Nice work and good start!
Happy learning!

Hi zalopez!
Something that I encountered while I was working on this project is that the code for performing both the point and the comment averaging/flipping/sorting were very similar. To cut down on code bulk, I put all that code into a function and called that function to process the data. I found myself passing more arguments into the function that I wanted to get it to work, but it still turned four replicates of similar code into one!
Let me know if you have any questions.