BLACK FRIDAY EXTRA SAVINGS EVENT - EXTENDED
START FREE

Star Wars Survey: feedback welcome!

Hello,

Just now, I completed my next ‘guided project’ in the Data Analyst in Python learning path: “Star Wars Survey”.
And greatly enjoyed doing so!

Let me share my notebook here. Any feedback that you may have is welcome!

StarWarsSurvey.ipynb (165.8 KB)

This is the link to the (last page of) the project guidelines:
https://app.dataquest.io/c/25/m/201/guided-project%3A-star-wars-survey/9/next-steps

Best regards,
Jasper

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

1 Like

Hi @jasperquak,

Really nice project here! You’ve written a good introduction explaining the context of the data and what you hope to achieve with it. The structure of your project is well-organised and easy to follow with appropriate use of headings and subheadings. Coding style is also tidy and well-commented!

A few suggestions from me:

• Before uploading your notebook, it’s best practice to re-run the notebook as it ensures the code can run entirely without issue, and it’s a bit tidier too as all cells will start from [1], instead of [227] in this case
  • Consider a more captivating/less vague project title than ‘Star Wars Survey’, remember we want something eye-catching for the audience!
  • In cell [256] where you output a large sample of the dataset, it takes up a fair amount of vertical space, and it’s not immediately obvious to the reader the conclusions that you draw underneath – it might improve readability to breakdown the sample into the conclusions you draw, e.g.
    – “Many people reported that they only saw some of the movies …”
    < display a few lines from the sample that support this conclusion >
    – "People that saw a subset of the movies, in most cases … "
    < display a few lines from sample that support this conclusion >
    – A quicker alternative could be to put the text for your examples in bold, e.g. ‘Example row 81’ so it’s more eye-catching, (and include an example for each bullet!)
  • In cells [255] [261] and [264], you use very similar code to create a plot – there’s an opportunity to reduce redundancy here by writing a function
    – same for plots in cells [269] and [273] - I know the code is only used twice, but it’s quite a few lines so you could save a good amount of space here!

Overall, super work! Hope you find my suggestions useful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @radiofireworks ,

Thank you so much for feedback - really much appreciated!
I agree with all your points. (I don’t have the time these days to implement changes, but will do at some point!)

I was hesitating a bit about the last comment about creating a function to generate similar plots, as one would need to create a function with quite some input parameters it seems; and when calling the function one would need to pass all them. So I was not sure whether it is going to save a lot of space (and improve readability) after all. But it certainly makes sense of course from a principal standpoint, so let me try it out and see what it looks like.

Once more, thank you a lot!

Best regards, Jasper

1 Like