Successfully Finished Data Analyst Path in Python

I want to share the story of how I launched my data science career with Dataquest, and hopefully, in the process inspire some of you to grab that Coffee, keep calm and code on⁠—your time will come.
Well, I started the Data Analyst in Python path in May1 2020, as a COVID-19 Scholarship holder, and by October18 2020, I finished the Data Analyst Path.

Initially, I thought of completing both Data Analyst in Python & Data Analyst Path in R within six months, but I realized that I don’t want to mess up my learning by sailing in two boats without knowing a destination. So, I picked up one path and concentrated thoroughly end to end on it. My learning curve was slow, steady and consistency towards my goal. Being a non tech guy(no coding background) to - today I am in a position to write program, functions, methods, data analysis ,SQL Version control etc. I personally feel this is a proud moment for me and the entire credit goes to DQ team because their learning content really helped me to stand in a crowd.

One of the highlights of my learning is involving in community forums. It really boosted my confidence by helping co learners, learning from them and sharing knowledge , what not!!!. I am also happy that I received few times “premium extensions”, “Community badge” for my contributions to the community.

At the moment, I don’t have a success story to share. I am interviewing at more companies, so hopefully I will have a great story to share.

In the meantime, I don’t want to stop my learning. I still have some days to access learning content. So I’ll start exploring Machine Learning & R programming and parallelly work with some personal projects which are in my to-do-list.

I sincerely thank to DQ team for offering me the scholarship and also shaping the futures of so many humans on this world.

PS : Anyone can code and learn “Data Science” irrespective of background. This is not my word, it was said by so many people like me and I totally agree them :100:

Sincerely
K!

42 Likes

Yaay! Congratulations @prasadkalyan05!! :tada:

This is such an inspiring story for every non-tech person who is looking to get into Data Science. Thanks for sharing it with us! :heart:

And I’m so glad that you liked the experience of our Community. :partying_face:

8 Likes

Hey @nityesh

My post motive was not directly to motivate someone, but at the sametime if there is someone like me who should not think background as a barrier for getting into Data Science… I am happy that you liked my story :grin:

And I am proud that I am part of DQ community :blush: :heart:

Best
K!

4 Likes

That’s great news, Good luck for the interviews :slight_smile:
I am new here, facing difficulties though, non-coding background.

5 Likes

thank you for sharing your story :slight_smile: it is very inspiring and gives me hope. I really like this course, too. Please do keep us updated and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

best wishes!

6 Likes

I hear you :slight_smile: I struggle sometimes, too. But hey, it is fun :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks man!

I can understand your pain, but remember “never give up”. Keep consistency in your learning, learn slowly, practice more, take breaks[This is mandatory :grin:] and you will make it for sure!!

Cheers
K

4 Likes

Hey!!

I am glad that you are inspired with my story :heart: I’ll update the status for sure :blush:

Good luck to your learning!! :+1:

Cheers
K

3 Likes

I’m also new without a coding background, but slow, incremental progress over time is what you want. Work at it every day! (My goal is 1-hour a day, 5 days a week and I get there most weeks). Thankfully, the platform reinforces concepts well that you learn early on. I’m almost three months in and I’m 35% of the way through Data Analyst in Python (I’m still working full-time) and 25% of the way toward Data Scientist in Python.

8 Likes

I am so happy for you and thank you so much for sharing your story with DQ. I hope you will get a job in a great company. Good luck!!

2 Likes

Congratulations :superhero:

2 Likes

Hey @mohngelay.nl

Thanks a lot :blush:

All the best for your learning :+1:

1 Like

So proud of you!!
How many hours a day have you spend doing DQ task and what your learning day look like?

2 Likes

Hey @fabrizio.anichini98

I use to study 3 - 4 hours a day. 2 hours for reading DQ missions then followed by 2 hours approximately for practice.

Sometimes I skip this schedule because when i am not in a mood to study, in such cases I use to take breaks and will be back on track in 1 or 2 days so that my learning will be in consistency mode…

Best
K

5 Likes

Congrats! So happy for you. Thank you for sharing- I started my Data Analyst in Python journey last month. Happy to know that slow and steady wins the race. Would you say to practice after every task? Or after every mission? Also how many hours would you say you need to complete each course within the path? Thanks!!

3 Likes

Hey @amouzout

Thank you for your kind words! :blush:

You can practice as per your feasibility. I use to do after each missions by working on practice problems in DQ and followed by some of the online coding platforms where we can improve our skills. And parallely I invest some time to revise previous concepts as well.

Generally, there is no such time to complete each course but what I suggest you is take it slowly in a consistency mode. Understand the concepts, strong your basics, practice more, if concepts are not clear come back and read them again, try involving in DQ community you will learn a lot from our peers!!

Happy learning :woman_technologist:

Best
K!

5 Likes

Congrats Kaylan!

How many hours did you dedicate per/day or per/week on average? I’m 3 months into the Data Analyst track and enjoying it, but I can only give about 5 hours/week since I work and have young kids.

Also, how much did you explore in the Guided Projects beyond the given prompts? I am trying to get through the program quickly so I mainly answer do the given exercises without a whole lot of extra exploration on the back end… Didn’t know if you were similar or not.

Thanks.

3 Likes