The #1 reason I would tell people not to use DataQuest

Guided projects.

There is 0% chance you will make it through DataQuest without losing your saved progress on a project at least once.

4 Likes

Hi @chrishubbard92,

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with our Guided Projects. I completely understand that this issue is indeed a demotivator, as it takes a lot of effort to do guided projects. While our system works properly for a majority of students, we have been receiving reports of a significant number of cases of lost projects. Which is sad! It is indeed good to have a jupyter notebook interface on our platform to make it easier to do guided projects. However, it is not mandatory for project completion. There are other reliable alternatives if you are experiencing issues with the embedded notebook. I would recommend you to check out the Other Alternatives section of this post:

Best,
Sahil

Edit:
In an effort to be constructive, here’s how I think Guided projects should be handled. There should be no online Jupyter notebook, students should do all of the work offline in their own environment. This means DataQuest hosting the data to ensure accuracy and giving download links to students. Then, each project should be reviewed by a teacher at DataQuest.

3 Likes

Hey @chrishubbard92!

While I understand your frustration, a non-constructive post like this isn’t helpful to the issue at hand. Can we support you in a different way than what’s mentioned in the article Sahil posted?

I and @Bruno have both shared this with our engineering and product teams to see if we can raise this as an issue to be prioritized.

2 Likes

Hi Mary, thanks for the response. You beat me by 1 minute! here’s the constructive edit I added to my post above:
Here’s how I think Guided projects should be handled. There should be no online Jupyter notebook, students should do all of the work offline in their own environment. This means DataQuest hosting the data to ensure accuracy and giving download links to students. Then, each project should be reviewed by a teacher at DataQuest.

As it was mentioned in another thread a few days ago, the current system is pretty useless. Employers really don’t care about generic projects that have answers all over the internet. DQ should focus on cultivating unique, challenging data sets that aren’t readily available through Kaggle. Then students should be able (required?) to submit their work to instructors for thorough feedback.

12 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for adding this context - it’s really helpful.

I’m sending this over to our team and we hope to be able to improve your Guided Project experience.

2 Likes

I’m slightly annoyed/glad that I’m not the only person that this is happening to. I spent a considerable amount of time working through a project only to find that none of my work had been saved, even though I tried to save it along the way. I thought that it was just user error, so I didn’t bother reporting it.

4 Likes

Hey @tlumpkins1 - definitely reach out here in the community or by filling out a ticket and we’ll do our best to help.

Mary

1 Like

Hope I don’t encounter the same issues

3 Likes

I empathize with the frustration (though I have not experienced this myself as I am a new student). That being said, I think this type of discussion is healthy and extremely helpful. Kudos to @Mary for her patience and clarity.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why would any serious learner not instal Jupyter Notebook on their local machine?!

So far I have done all my guided projects on my own Jupyter notebook. If someone is facing an issue of losing their project on an online interface, the easiest solution would be to install a Jupyter Notebook or any other IDE on your laptop rather than not using DataQuest altogether. I understand the frustration of losing a project and all the hard work disappear in a flash. But when there is Jupyter Notebook available to download for free no one shouldn’t be repeating the mistake twice. That is what I feel.

7 Likes

Loosing your guided project at least once… is part of the learning process! (humor).

It happends to me (as a rookie) that my daughter erase all my work. It is frustating! but it also happend that in the process of reworking I actually realize to make more cleaner code.

2 Likes