Tips to make learning RegEx easy

Hi everyone,

I don’t know if this is the right place for this kind of question but I am struggling a lot with the Advance RegEx missions. Most of the times I am unable to figure out the correct pattern to use and end up checking the answer code. :frowning_face:

Are there any tips which would help in clearing these missions easily? I use regexr website.

Thanks!

Try to start here

https://regexr.com/

You can test you expression if it is valid

Use the cheat sheet for the most common pattern so it will get you started. Only practice will make you better.

Understand the basics then work from there.

Cheers

What helped me a lot was taking screenshots of all the tables that Dataquest made showing the classes and lookarounds. I saved these all to my notes, and referenced them as I was going through the mission. I don’t know if that helps though. If you have a specific question, you should post it on here and I am sure someone will help you :slight_smile:regex

3 Likes

Thanks for providing all the images of tables. :+1:

@znarkin
Good on you for sharing that!

I’ve made several screenshots and bookmarked a handful of critical missions too! While lesson take-aways achieve their primary purpose of brevity, sometimes it’s more helpful to have a comprehensive cheat-sheet on hand you can easily refer to.

I mean, how often is it that you have to refer back to a mission or google what the syntax was for resetting an index in a dataframe so that the row names are a column? How many intricacies in regex did you have to double check? Or maybe you needed to quickly look up something about figures and subplots in matplotlib? Stuff like removing spines or repositioning the legend!

I think Dataquest-issued comprehensive cheatsheets (even if it’s just linking an existing one, like they did for the R visualization course) would solve all these issues, while also teaching students the extremely important skill of knowing how and where to refer to a cheat-sheet.

After all, even the most experienced Data Scientists and Analysts don’t have everything memorized in their heads, available for instant recollection at any time. Experience is more about knowing where to look for the syntax and formulas you need. Imparting - at very early stages - the use of a fundamental Data Science practice like this that will accompany one for the rest of their career would be a great idea IMHO.

2 Likes