Today is a special day: I wrote my first bit of personal, unguided code!

It’s just a simple function that takes a single iterable object and returns a dictionary of frequency distributions. 9 lines of code. Nothing fancy but I’m still working on it. I will post it here when I feel confident enough to show it. :grimacing:

Next step is to have it return a histogram since I’m part way through the data visualization section right now and I can do that. I can also see how I could use statistics later to test for fitness…chi-square test perhaps? Dunno, not there yet but I can definitely see me expanding on this little idea of mine going forward in my studies here, as my skills develop…and it has the potential to not only be super fun (it already is!) but it could potentially be useful in a “real life data analysis situation” (whatever those are!).

All that said, it just feels REALLY good to have come up with my own idea and put it to code, no matter how small it is. I’m only three weeks into my path here at DQ and I can’t say enough good things about my experience thus far.

It is so easy to get discouraged on what seems like the monumental task of I MUST LEARN EVERYTHING but then I have days like today and then the fog lifts and I think “I can do this!” and it’s true; I can, I have, and I will!

16 Likes

Ok, so this is what I have so far. Please be kind with your suggestions/feedback (which I do want) but please also keep in mind that I’ve never written a single line of code before joining DQ a little over a month ago and that this is a work in progress.

In order to verify that my code actually worked as expected, I had to find an appropriate test dataset. I’ve uploaded the csv that I built by copy/pasting data from Worldometers.info.

Dataset: world_population_data.csv

My first Digit_Widget: https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/urls/community.dataquest.io/uploads/short-url/3u6YYbSE2gtmvGrWbu87lmxnyUN.ipynb (20.8 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

2 Likes