Total Hours of Studying

Hello,

I hope everyone is safe and well during these difficult times.

I completed Data Analyst and Data Scientist paths and I was wondering if there is a way we can find out how many hours we have studied in total to get them done. If not, maybe we can add it to the page where we see our progress, I could be a cool statistic.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

I don’t know if you are able to see your total time investment but it’s possible for me to see the time invested for the current month in my dashboard.

Also I am wondering, how much time do you think you have spent on these paths? And does it come close to the suggested 160 hours? I am working on the Data Engineer path and my time tracking suggests it will take me like double the suggested time of 80 hours.

1 Like

Yes I know about the current month hours, thanks!
I am not sure about how long it took but I have a feeling that it was under 160 hours. I really want to learn precisely how many hours though, hence this post :stuck_out_tongue:

About your question, I am not an expert or anything but I’d suggest you not to worry too much about if it takes you double or half the suggested hours. Because I had found myself in a hurry to finish the courses many times and that is sooo not the point of it. We all learn at different paces :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like more stats, I’ve been using typingclub.com to practice touch typing and they have an awesome view of stats and total time put in and would love for something similar to be on dataquest.

I was going to start recording my study sessions to keep track that way.

The issue with providing total study time is that people would start posting their times on the forum like its a leaderboard which only serves to put pressure on people to rush, ‘beat’ others and make them feel discouraged that they’re not competent enough. Issue is further conflated when we don’t know how much programming experience a person had before joining the course and so only sets unrealistic expectations.

I wouldn’t worry about total time, it’s a race and completing quickly is not a 1:1 indicator of competency.

Two hypothetical people with the same intelligence could take vastly different amounts of time to complete it as one may take their time to absorb it or paced the learning out more and so had to do more revision on each revisit.

1 Like