Trouble with the new interface introduced on the Guided Project: Predicting the stock market

Previous guided projects were in Jupyter notebook, but Predicting the stock market has a new interface with an editor/terminal.

On the opening page there is a short introduction to the new interface and a link to Working With Data Downloads. I attempted to learn the new interface from that link, but still got lost. When I attempted to access the previous missions leading up to Working with Data Downloads I couldn’t figure out how to access them. I would like to access those missions so I have a better understanding of the new interface so I continue completing the Guided Project: Predicting the stock market. Thanks!

1 Like

Previous guided projects were in Jupyter notebook, but Predicting the stock market has a new interface with an editor/terminal.

When creating new posts, it’s better to share the link to that Mission.

I attempted to learn the new interface from that link, but still got lost

I would recommend asking specific questions (in new posts, if possible). Because there are step-by-step instructions which help us get comfortable with using this new interface.

There are essentially only two important details you should know based on the instructions (from what I have seen so far)

The Editor, and the Terminal.

We have previously worked with the terminal when going through the command line interface Missions.

And the editor, allows you to create, edit, download, and restore files.

You can see, in the Working with Data Downloads first step, there is a read.py file being shown on the left side of the Editor -

There is also a zipped folder there in that directory. To unzip that folder, you will have to switch to the Terminal and use the CLI.

And on the right side of the Editor, you can add content to that specific file, like code, since it’s a Python file -

That’s mostly the basics of it. If you still have any confusion, then feel free to ask specific questions.

When I attempted to access the previous missions leading up to Working with Data Downloads I couldn’t figure out how to access them

You can click on Dashboard in the top-left of the Mission page, and navigate to the rest to the Steps/Missions in that Path.

Thanks for the feedback! I will try to be more specific in the future to make things easier.

The issue might be with the editor itself. For instance, if I type "print(“Hello”) like you did above and press enter nothing happens. How do you get the code to run? I don’t have these issues when I open a course with just the command line terminal.

Additionally, Working with Data Downloads is under Command Line Beginner (https://www.dataquest.io/m/220-guided-project-working-with-data-downloads/) but my command line courses are the following:

Elements of the Command Line

and

Text Processing in the Command Line

I appreciate the help.

Kirk

You switch over to the Terminal. The Editor is just to help you navigate the directory, and edit any exiting files (like the Python script), or create any new files etc.

Any thing that you need to do with those files or directories will still happen in the Terminal.

@iamkcampbell I know it’s been awhile since you posted, but I’m having this same problem. Did you ever get the understanding you needed to get through the project?