Unmotivated to study anymore

Hello there,
I have completed 40% if the data science work Python course.
But for close to a week now, it’s been almost impossible to study.
Like I’ve lost the drive to study. I used to pull off at least 5hrs/day but now 1hr has become an Herculean task.

As anyone ever faced this and how did you come out of it. Because am starting to get frustrated.

4 Likes

You to relax your muscles ,find some books to read related to coding before jumping on the bus once more.

Many people encounter absolutely the same situation (me included). As @latoadeoye advises, take your brain exactly as muscle. You cannot train in fitness the SAME muscle 5 hours a day every day. Brain needs some time to digest and “sort” information it receives. So you need to take regular breaks.

I would strongly recommend taking this fantastic course from Barbora Oakly - Learning How to Learn. It will explain many nuances on how our brain works and, what’s most important, how it learns, so that you may make your process of learning most effective.

And also, what helps me - is to read anything related, meet like-minded people just for fun. Then you find yourself recharged for further learning.

Have fun and do not give up!

3 Likes

@ranklord made the “magic” statement: Brain needs some time to digest and “sort” information it receives. I 'm currently at the 20% of the DS path and have already been faced with this situation twice. What helped me were some short (weekly) breaks and then jumped again into the learning activity. You cannot always push yourself studying in a such rigid schedule. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks guys, I’ll take all you’ve said into consideration.

2 Likes

We’ve all experienced this, I once took a two week break from learning, just clear my head. I also learned that meditation helps alot. Just sit up with your back straight close your eyes, take deep inhales and exhales for 15 minutes after each study or even every day.

3 Likes

I have been here before but good thing is that I knew what to do - rest. I took four weeks off which was probably too much time off but it helped a lot. Like other members have suggested above, take some rest and let you brain take in and digest the information. Understandably, you cannot constantly take in new information without exhausting the brain so much. Especially given learning this course is not the only thing going for most of us. Learn how to learn.

I had this experience recently. Instead of taking a break I changed how I was learning and started to build out some mini projects to add to my GitHub portfolio (and also for fun). Being able to apply what I’d learned, do some independent research and have fun at the same time maintained the momentum and allowed me to have a distraction. Remember learning is not a linear process, it’s impressive that you were able to commit to 5 hours per day but it’s being able to apply what you’ve learned that is important.
Good luck!

5 Likes

It’s interest you asked this question. I’ve faced a similar challenge in the last couple of weeks. I decided to find a project that really interested me… something I was genuinely curious about… similar to Azra. What I’ve found is that suddenly I’m willing to spend hours on this pet project. My enthusiasm is much higher. And, I’m learning a lot about what I know and what I don’t know in the process. Things that I nailed in the projects suddenly escape me. But because I want to get to the bottom of this project I am highly motivated to find the answer, improve the code, and keep working on it. (Ok, let’s see… now how do I get these two dataframes to line up so I can compare them?) I am already forming a plan for re-emerging myself into the coursework and I also have a good sense for the courses I need to retake (ha ha). I actually think it’s a good approach to learning in general.

1 Like

My own 2 cents in addition to the other amazing answers provided by the community:

Applying your skills towards a cause that actually means something to you has to be the most surefire formula to staying motivated!

You learn the best when you’re getting your hands dirty and actually building something with your own hands. And you’re most motivated to do this when the thing you build is actually something you care about and have a sincere investment in. Think back to when you were a kid building stuff with lego blocks, having the time of your life. You’d build, experiment, stumble, recover, and then continue building.

Do something that means a lot to you, and allow yourself to bask in the moments of minor triumph when your new skills enable you to solve a problem that might have eluded you yesterday. The learning process really just constitutes a back-to-back series of these minor triumphs.

1 Like

Well, that’s an interesting alternative👌🏼

Thanks to everyone who have taken out time to comment. I appreciate.
I believe the key point from most suggestions is that

1. I take a break and allow my brain rest and process all I’ve learnt
  2. While doing that also work on projects that interest me.
1 Like

You are not alone there, I have been facing the same problem lately but we’ll get there.

1 Like

I get that way too, and absolutely agree with everyone! Take time and put your knowledge to work for yourself, but also find other interesting things to do intermittently. Learning can be kind of a grind, but like most things, soon it will seem natural and you will then be taking these breaks from coding… :wink:

Does anyone else feel like they’re driven to pursue data science out of a fear of the unknown (other career paths that demand more of your soft skills, or unknown answers to questions and not being able to cope with uncertainty?)

Also, and this question is likely to be more sensitive, but why do the demographics of data scientists skew heavily toward Asian and Indian males?

I am commenting here because my mind is constantly barraged with incessant second thoughts about pursuing this data scientist track, and I was wondering if

A) anyone else felt the same way about fear of the unknown or questioning their “fit” within the field?

B) has anyone who has overcome what you thought were gut instincts that told you to quit paid off?