Users and Permission : Command Line - Enter a directory vs. list its contents

Hello everybody,

I’ve got a question regarding Question 5 on Screen 4 in the Users and permission mission.

Screen Link:

The question is

Third scenario. User dq can't enter /home/learn, but has rwx permissions for all the content in /home/learn.

Question 5. Can user dq read/list the contents of the home directory of learn?

What I understood from the scenario explanation is that the Others scope for /home/learn has the form __- (with “_” being placeholders), because we only know that the directory cannot be entered (therefore executed) by dq.

Question 5 asks now if the contents of /home/learn can be listed (and therefore read) by dq. But we don’t have any knowledge about whether the Others scope takes the form r_- or -_-. There is no information about the read permissions whatsoever.

So how can we answer this question with certainty? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @cgeisendoerfer:

• Third scenario. User dq can’t enter /home/learn, but has rwx permissions for all the content in /home/learn.
  • Question 5. Can user dq read/list the contents of the home directory of learn?

Since /home/learn cannot be listed, even though dq has permissions to learn’s folder, he will not be able to access it.