Very basic question about Python logic

I am curious how python knows what “row” is in the calculation of “proportion”? I understand “row” is a place-holder and could really be anything, but in this instance, Python does not need me to specify I am looking for the contents of the dictionary and not the keys. How does Python know that? Is it because it is a dictionary and it always pulls the contents? If so, would I need to specify if I wanted to pull or work with the keys?

Just curious.

Thank you!

here is a snipit, the full loop is below:

for row in content_ratings:
    proportion = content_ratings[row] / total_number_of_apps
content_ratings = {'4+': 4433, '12+': 1155, '9+': 987, '17+': 622}
total_number_of_apps = 7197

c_ratings_proportions = {}

for row in content_ratings:
    proportion = content_ratings[row] / total_number_of_apps
    print('key:', row)
    print('Proportion value: ', proportion)
    c_ratings_proportions[row] = proportion          
    print(c_ratings_proportions)

Consider the following

abc = ["a", "b", "c", "d", "e"]
for x in abc:
    print(x)
Output
a
b
c
d
e

["a", "b", "c", "d", "e"] is type of sequence called list. abc is assigned to the list.

The ordering of sequences starts at index 0 from the left.That is, "a" is at index 0.

for means for each element in the sequence. That is, the for loop will access each element of the sequence - in this example, the sequence is a list ["a", "b", "c", "d", "e"].

for each element x in the sequence ["a", "b", "c", "d", "e"]

• Begins at index = 0, such that x = abc[0] = "a"
  • print each element x such that x = abc[index] (but we do not need to the indexing)
  • for loop indirectly increment the index by 1.

Suppose content_rating = [ [...], [...], [...]] = list of list

for row in content_rating

for each element row in the sequence content_rating.

Here row can be label as anything we want (Example, for x in content_rating but x is not meaningful as row.) However, we want to make the code readable. row informs the user that row contains the row data that is represent by a sequence list.

This is because content_rating is 2-dimensional list.

For illustration purpose (and not Python code):

• content_rating = [ [...], [...], [...]] = list of list

• row = sequence list = [...]

In your example, content_rating is a dictionary

content_rating is a dictionary {'4+': 4433, '12+': 1155, '9+': 987, '17+': 622}. And, for row in content_rating is not the appropriate way to iterate a dictionary.

for row in content_rating means for each element row of dictionary content_rating key values ['4+', '12+', '9+', '17+']. content_rating[row] access the value for particular key in the dictionary.

Label row for each element makes the code not as readable since there is no row but we actually meant key.

Edit code in your example

Use the following instead

for k, v in content_rating.items(): 

.items() converts into a sequence list of tuple (key, value) pair . That is, .items() = [(key1, value1), ...., (keyn, valuen)]

k, v gets assign to each element (key, value)

where k means key of the dictionary
and, where v means value of the dictionary

And replace

content_ratings[row]

with

v

You can simplified the code by using a dictionary comprehension

c_ratings_proportions = { k: v/total_number_of_apps for k, v in content_ratings.items()}

.items() converts into a sequence list of tuple (key, value) pair . That is, .items() = [(key1, value1), ...., (keyn, valuen)]

k, v gets assign to each element (key, value)

where k means key of the dictionary
and, where v means value of the dictionary

Reads mathematically as
dictionary[key] = value / total_number_of_apps, for each element (key, value) in dictionary content_ratings

Other questions on data structures

Dictionary { } are not sequences.

• Uses key to access the value
  • When using a for loop to iterate dictionary values, use .items() to convert into a sequence list of tuple (key, value) for for loop iterating each element.

Sequence, for example list [ ], or tuple ( , ) (tuples can contains 1 or more elements separated by a comma ,)

• Uses index to access elements in the sequences
  • Sequences start index at 0.

There are different types of data structures. Read up on data structures in Python Tutorial.

You need to read up on Dictionary. Here’s the dictionary section in Python Tutorial.