Visualize Earnings vs Majors - Median Salary is $40K when Employed Count is 0

Hi,

I’m working on Mission 146 (Ch 3) and, after plotting a histogram of the number of employed graduates, I saw that one major had zero employed. It turned out to be Military Technologies and it also has zero college jobs, zero non-college jobs and 111 full-time. How does a major with zero employed have a median yearly income of $40k? Am I missing something?

3 Likes

Hi @olamideoshilalu

Wow! that’s a very detailed level of studying the dataset. You have raised the bar for preliminary data forage. :scream: :clap:

For this record, we only have one info - the Full-Time column with 111 as headcount. And if Median salary is calculated based on the Full_time_year_round column (according to the data dictionary), then this count also doesn’t help us much.

I found this other record for major Food Science ranked at 22. It has no values for Total, Men, and Women employment.

I went back to the source page for the dataset, and came across this comment about a similar dataset - grads_students.csv here. It hasn’t been resolved though.

So perhaps we can try our luck by asking the FiveThirtyEight team directly about how these values have been calculated or derived.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying and editing the topic, @Rucha. It makes a lot more sense that way.

I guess only FiveThirtyEight can give an explanation for that and the Food Science row. The page you shared is quite interesting. I think I’ll be going to GitHub a lot more.
Thanks for the compliment :blush:

2 Likes