Blue Week Special Offer | Brighten your week!
days
hours
minutes
seconds

Where to learn Power BI

I am currently progressing through the Data Scientist in Python path and am loving every minute of it. I actually am trying to prepare for some potential opportunities in my current role where I could use the knowledge I’m presently learning. Power BI is a tool I need to learn. However, my skills in Power BI are limited. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to learn the key facets of Power BI in order to utilize it for data science and analytics? Any tips on websites, courses, etc. would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

4 Likes

Hey, nice to hear that, you can refer Udemy for power bi short course, this will equip you with basics and most of power bi toolkit. It covers dax language, dashboard, data modeling and much more.
To start Udemy will be best.
My personal choice is academind power bi course.

Keep learning :smiley:

Good question. PowerBI or Tabelau is on every job posting for Data Analyst. I wonder if DataQuest has any plans to add this to there career path. DC has this in their curriculum. Cheers!

I’d recommend Learn PowerBI using Microsoft’s free online resources, then go for udemy course if necessary and get Power BI Data Analyst Associate certification.

To get the Microsoft Data Analyst Associate certification, you need to pass the DA-100 Analyzing Data with Microsoft Power BI exam ( IMPORTANT: THIS EXAM WILL RETIRE ON MARCH 31, 2022. A replacement exam, Exam PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst, will be available on February 28, 2022. For more information regarding the new exam and retirement, please read this blog post.). Microsft Learning paths are available for free to prepare for the exam. In case you need to assess your exam preparation, which is highly recommended, practicing on the Microsft PL-300 practice test will help you identify the mistakes and topics you need to study more. This is how you’ll be able to know how exam objectives are covered in scenario-based questions.

After passing the exam, finish the data analytics track by dataquest which teaches you python (pandas, NumPy, seaborn, matplotlib, OOP concepts), SQL, bash and covers basic statistics in a very intuitive way. Most of the analysis requires direct knowledge of what you learn there.

You might have also heard about datacamp which is another amazing platform, but I would not recommend starting with it. I suggest learning fundamentals on Dataquest, then acquiring job-specific* knowledge on other platforms. The reason behind this is datacamp’s teaching method is pasting code into empty cells, it doesn’t help with memorization and more fundamental understanding. Whereas on Dataquest you have an empty IDE on the RHS and can do whatever you want and should.

You must have solid skills in business intelligence, Python, PowerBI, and the knowledge of implementing an ML model or regression to become an expert in data analysis. Besides, when you understand syntax, use platforms like stratascratch and leetcode to test your skills and practice real problems.

I learned from Maven Analytics and highly recommend checking them out (they have a free trial too). Also check out “Guy in a Cube” channel on Youtube.

Hi there! We’re actually in the process of developing 2 paths in partnership with Microsoft that will use Power BI. The first is the Data Analysis with PowerBI path, which will be a skill path focused entirely on Power BI. The second path is the Business Analyst career path. It will include the same content, but will also include Excel, SQL, and Python.

The new content will be based on the content from MS Learn website and will prepare learners to take the Analyzing Data with Microsoft Power BI certification exam..

The courses will be available soon. If you’re interested in beta-testing the content, shoot me an email at [email protected].

3 Likes

That amazing new sam! any ETA for the release date? Thank you.

Hi Sam! I’m interested in beta testing if it’s still an option. I’ve sent you an email.