LIMITED TIME OFFER: 50% OFF OF PREMIUM WITH OUR ANNUAL PLAN (THAT'S $294 IN SAVINGS).
GET OFFER

Which blog post would you advise every new coder to read before diving into programming?

@wuworkshop recently shared a this article written by Erik Trautman, the creator of The Odin Project:

“It’s a blogpost every new coder should probably read before diving into programming,” @wuworkshop said.

And I agree.

Now, in a community like ours, which has people from such diverse backgrounds and motivations, it would be cool (and very helpful) if there was a place where everyone shares their favourite articles to suggest new coders in our community.

So, let’s create it here, in this thread.

Which blog post would YOU advise every new coder to read before diving into programming?

Reply below! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Here is an article I shared a while back actually by one of the DQ staff @charlie. Here was the original topic I posted after reading it on FreeCodeCamp. Not only applies to Python, but also every other language.

5 Likes

thank you for this thread, extremely useful and helful for any newcomer!

2 Likes

Another interesting article I found about the importance of honing soft skills in addition to technical know-how based on MOOCs or online bootcamps like DQ. Definitely important to get into the right mindset before you start learning coding and starting off your career in IT.

Agree with several points made by the author:

If you don’t feel confident or are still having trouble working on a real project, you can ask someone to be a mentor for you or take part in a Bootcamp. That way, someone will give you feedback regarding what you are doing.

We are currently doing this with the Guided Projects and Q&A channels on our community on discourse so we are moving in the right direction! YAY :tada:

To hone these skills, it is not enough for us to rely on online courses. We also need to practice by doing real projects. Why? By working on a real project we will practice how to solve a problem. You will realize that the data in the real world is not as beautiful as the data that we process when we take the online course.

As information too, if one day you apply for a job as a data scientist, you most likely won’t be asked about how many courses you have taken or how many certificates you have, but what projects have you worked on and how did you handle the project.

Very true for jobs in IT. Experience definitely beats certification. Keep learning and improving!

Enjoy!

2 Likes