if c in a:
            a[c] += 1
        else:
            a[c] = 1
    return a

What I expected to happen:
Expected the code to run

What actually happened:
It gave an error and apparently the main root cause is this line " x = extract(n)".
In the solution after creating an empty dictionary, why are we not creating a list with keys, just like we did earlier examples. Why is it that - creating a list is not required and instead immediately after the blank dictionary, the for- in code is referring to the parameter in the function ( i.e. def freq_table(column) , when we are yet to define the argument which will be in the form of list

Running your code caused an error.
genres_ft isn’t defined in your code, but we expected it to be dict type

Please share all of your code here along with the full error. It’s unclear what the cause of the error actually is based on your current description.

CODE FROM THE PREVIOUS SCREEN

opened_file = open(‘AppleStore.csv’)
from csv import reader
read_file = reader(opened_file)
apps_data = list(read_file)

def extract(index):
column =
for row in apps_data[1:]:
value = row[index]
column.append(value)
return column

genres = extract(11)

def freq_table(n):
a ={}
x = extract(n)
for c in x:
if c in a:
a[c] += 1
else:
a[c] = 1
return a

genres_ft = freq_table(genres)

You are calling extract() inside your freq_table() function, even though it has already been called before -

freq_table function does not need to call the extract() function.

Because that’s what extract() function does for you. You are creating a frequency table based on the list that you get from calling the extract() function. The items in that list will be the keys for your frequency table.

I would recommend going over the instructions carefully once more to better understand what’s going on.

thanks, i think it will take some time to build intuition. Or is that wrong to say in coding !
if a list has already been called earlier - extract () - it need not be called again even though that was the format in simpler examples . That’s something to dwell upon