Why can't i use an AND statement to filter out for Low Enrollment

Screen Link: https://app.dataquest.io/m/138/data-cleaning-walkthrough%3A-analyzing-and-visualizing-the-data/6/exploring-schools-with-low-sat-scores-and-enrollment

Your Code:

low_enrollment = (combined["total_enrollment"] < 1000) & (combined["sat_score"] < 1000)
low_enrollment = combined.loc[low_enrollment,]
print(low_enrollment["SchoolName"])

What I expected to happen: to be able to filter out for total enrolment below 1K and sat score below 1K

What actually happened: I get a different results from the answer. The answer Hint is
You may want to use two different statements to perform the filtration – one to keep only those rows where total_enrollment is under 1000 , and the other to keep rows where sat_score is under 1000

Other details: Why is that so? Trying to understand why i get different results in this case

1 Like

“&” - did you mean “and”? In python, “&” is a bitwise operator, “and” is the logical operator.

sorry, i mean &. is there a difference in outcomes for the 3 here
AND versus & versus performing in 2 different statements like the below?

low_enrollment = combined[combined["total_enrollment"] < 1000]
low_enrollment = low_enrollment[low_enrollment["sat_score"] < 1000]

Hi,

not sure if the question still stands but here’s how I did it and it worked:

low_enrollment = combined[(combined[‘total_enrollment’] < 1000) & (combined[‘sat_score’] < 1000)]

Hope this helps!
Ivelina

3 Likes

low_enrollment=combined.loc[(combined["total_enrollment"]<1000)& (combined["sat_score"]<1000)]

this code above worked perfectly for me.

I think your error might result from using the same variable name for the filter condition variable and the new_dataframe variable