LIMITED TIME OFFER: 50% OFF OF PREMIUM WITH OUR ANNUAL PLAN (THAT'S $294 IN SAVINGS).
GET OFFER

Working on iPad with Jupyter Notebook

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of you use iPad as their main machine and if you already tried Juno Connect to make analysis? If so, would you care to explain how it works? I usually use Anacoda on my computer or the Kermel interface of Kaggle (I just import the data and make it private). As they are talking about server, I wondered if I should it give it a try. I use more and more my iPad as my main machine as I travel a lot with work and the magic keyboard change my life.

Have a nice weekend,

Loic

2 Likes

Hi @loicchamplong: I personally don’t own an iPad and I primarily use my Windows Machine for my Data Science workflows and my Mac for web browsing and everyday tasks. I think it should be ok if you are doing lightweight tasks like practicing code on the go and plotting visualizations but for more intense tasks such as training machine learning models, I think you should still use your computer for that as that may require more processing power (in either the CPU or GPU aspect).

However, this is the first time I heard about this software and I feel amazed by it! I would love to hear the stories of others who have used Juno Connect share about their experiences below so that perhaps maybe one day I can get a tablet maybe I can experience it for myself too if this is indeed feasible!

1 Like

Well, it still works, I did take a guided project using my iPad during a 6 hour train journey. It worked fine as long as you have a nice keyboard. I have an iPad Air with the Combo Touch (magic keyboard from Logitech) and it went pretty smoothly. The screen is a bit small at first but you get used to it quite quickly.

Now, if the app is worth it, that would change everything! From what I have read, you need a server to host your jupyter notebooks and your data. AWS does the trick but I’d like testimonies before I really buy the app, it is only 10 USD but heck, if it does not work in the end it would just be a waste.

1 Like

Ahh ok see where you are coming from…

This is interesting. I don’t have any advice for you but I encourage you to share what you find. I’m sure being able to code on iPad and iPhone can be useful to a lot of learners in our community! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have set up a call with someone who uses the app so he can tell me all about it. I’ll then try it and give you a full review.

From what I understand so far, you’d need a server to host your notebook and the datasets but apparently Google Colab and Drive can do the job. AWS can also be an option but it requires a higher level of development (in general).

2 Likes

We finished talking and I bought the app. It does indeed work well! If you can’t program your own server (like me), you can use Colcac, it is free to some extents (if you are a pro/freelancer, you might need to take the premium version).

It works pretty well!

@nityesh, you could include an article about it in your next batch of emails, I tend to use this a lot for example.

2 Likes

Looks good @loicchamplong!

@loicchamplong: btw I just saw a post by Daniel Bourke on Linkedin so you might wanna check it out.

Writing code on an iPad!

I’m having so much fun.

I love the iPad for reading & writing because of its built in single-app focus style (yes I know you can do this on a Mac but for some reason it feels right on an iPad).

All of my first drafts start with a blank page in iA Writer on my iPad whilst sitting outside.

Now I can not only write words but code!

Been reading Effective Python: 90 Specific Ways to Write Better Python (2nd edition) by Brett Slatkin -https://lnkd.in/gn3ZaxX

I figured, Daniel, it’s 2021, If you can upgrade your coding skill by 1% somewhere, it’ll benefit you 100x down the line.

So 10 pages of Effective Python every day it is.

And why read the examples when you can code them? (you get better at coding by writing more code)

Juno for iPad allows you to write Python code right within a Jupyter Notebook, it even comes with the data science key players (pandas, matplotlib, NumPy)! https://juno.sh/

Two phenomenal creations.