Your Feedback Please: Star Wars Survey

Hi everyone,

I have finished the Star Wars Survey and am very much looking forward to some constructive feedback on what you think I should improve! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I got an error message when I tried linked nbviewer or binder to my github page. I tried it multiple times.
@Sahil: Do you have any idea how to fix this? Many thanks!

After learning about nteract’s data explorer and reading this Medium post, I was very eager to try out some interactive capabilities in Jupyter. I have therefore used notebook widgets with plotly and really liked, that I did not have to duplicate code for this exploration-focused project.
For which use cases do you find these techniques useful?

Kind regards
Tim

Link to final mission screen

1 Like

Hi @tim1albers,

Did you receive any ‘Notebook validation failed’ message when you saved it?

Best,
Sahil

Hi @Sahil,

When I saved the notebook to GitHub, I did not receive a ‘Notebook validation failed’ message.

Best
Tim

1 Like

No idea what is wrong in this case. When I tried to open it in Dataquest Jupyter notebook environment, I am getting that message.

Try adding a copy of it in Github after removing the plotly code.

Best,
Sahil

Hi @Sahil,
plotly worked fine on an earlier project of mine. Commenting it out in this workbook seems to work, but it defeats the purpose of the exercise for me (doing interactive viz with widgets).

Anyway, many thanks for your kind support! :slight_smile:

Best
Tim

1 Like

BTW: this is how a interactive charting looks like in Jupyter if nbextensions widgets are enabled.
It’s really fun to just change the displayed feature as one would in a BI software.
See more examples in the medium post I linked above.

Bildschirmvideo-aufnehmen-2020-05-05-um-16.12.39

1 Like

Hey @Sahil & @tim1albers

I too struggled with the validation error, there seems to be some problem with Jupyter notebooks or plotly. Even nbviewer cannot render such a notebook.
What worked for me was to downgrade the nbformat for the jupyter notebook, if run locally.

Thanks
Raj

1 Like